Sunday morning is a vital part of life here at Trinity Presbyterian Church of McKinney Texas. There are two worship services – 8:30 and 11:00 am – with Sunday school classes held from 9:45–10:45 am.
Starting at 9:30 am you are welcome to join us in Eva Joplin Hall (between services) for coffee and breakfast. And if you are not very familiar with the building, feel free to ask at the Welcome Desk outside the Great Hall and we will be glad to show you the way. Here is an area map of the facility.
Growing through Intentional Faith Development is one of the core values at TPC. No matter what your age or stage of life, we want to help you grow in your understanding of God, scripture, faith, and community through experiences that engage the mind, heart and body. At TPC, we offer a variety of Sunday School classes as well as Small Groups and Disciple Bible Studies.
Sunday School Classes
Our adult classes use a variety of learning styles and cover a range of topics. We use age appropriate materials and instructional practices for our Early Childhood and Elementary Children’s classes. Children and Youth programs are all under the direction of staff members who have specialized training in their field of education and spiritual development.
Below is a list of our weekly Adult Sunday School Classes that meet during the school year.
- Daily Christian Living – Discussion-style class facilitated by various leaders focusing on applying biblical principles to our everyday lives. (Great Hall)
- Progressive Christianity – Discussion-style class for seekers who like to explore ways our faith needs to change to remain relevant in a world of science and reason. (Room 303)
- Ecumenical Space – Discussion-style class class designed to appeal across multiple generations. Subjects generally focus on contemporary ideas and issues and their connection with our faith journey (Room TBD)
- Faith Explorers – Discussion-style class with emphasis on navigating daily Christian living with our families (Room 305)
- Learn It and Live It – Lecture and Bible-based discussion style class for Christian living. (Room 302-A)
- Time Out – Discussion-style class for parents of tweens and teens covering topics about marriage, parenting and our faith. (Room 306)
- Young Families – Discussion-style class for expectant parents to parents with young children covering topics about marriage, parenting and our faith. (Library)
- Orientation to Trinity – A special 4-week class offered 3-4 times per year for those who want to learn more about Trinity, including introductions to our pastors, the history of the Presbyterian church, how Presbyterians worship and govern themselves, church activities and volunteer opportunities, and how to get connected here at Trinity. (Room 302-B)
- Making Sense of the Bible – A special 6-week class offered 3 times per year based on Adam Hamilton’s honest, relevant and captivating book, Making Sense of the Bible. (Room 302-B)
Summer All Adult Sunday School
Many of our Adult Sunday School classes take the summer off, so Trinity offers an All Adult Sunday School series. Below are the classes scheduled for Summer 2019. Classes will meet from 9:45-10:45 am in the locations listed. Regular Adult Sunday School Classes will resume on August 18, 2019.
Series: Struggling with Faith in the Modern World
Speaker: Phyllis Tippit, Room 303
June 9 – Is Faith Really a Struggle?
June 16 – Does Science Get in the Way?
June 23 – Everything’s Under Control
June 30 – Ego and Human Nature
July 7 – (No classes) – Welcome Reception for New Senior Pastor, Reverend Woody Brown in Eva Joplin Hall
Series: Joseph Whitner Memorial Speaker Series
Practical Ways to Love Creation, McCoy Chapel
July 14 – Solar is a Key, Larry Howe
July 21 – Butterflies & Other Pollinators, Carol Clark
July 28 – McKinney’s Green Future, Martha Fipps
August 4 – DIY Lotions, Dan Muenchau
August 11 – Promotion Sunday – On Promotion Sunday, all children and youth move up to the next Sunday School class that corresponds with their grade level. Kids and adults are encouraged to bring their backpacks to worship to receive a special blessing to kick off the school year.
TPC has two kinds of small groups — Study Groups and Fellowship Groups — meeting throughout the week, during the day and in the evenings. Below is a list of most of our Small Groups:
- Still Waters – women’s study, meets at the church during the day
- Sinner’s Pew – men and women, meets evenings in members’ homes
- The Spiritual Life – women’s study, meets at the church during the day
- That We May Know – men and women, meets at church during the day
- Strength and Joy – men and women, meets evenings in members’ homes
- Continuing Disciples – men and women, meets at church during the day
- Men of Trinity – men’s group, meets Saturday mornings at the church
- Wednesday Morning Men’s Group – meets at the church
- Contemplative Prayer Group – Meets monthly at church during the day
- Prayer Warriors – Meets weekly during the evening at church
- Bazaar Group – women’s craft and handwork group meets at church during the day
- Triple P’s – women’s Pinterest craft group meets evenings at the church
- Prayer Shawls – women’s handwork group meets at church during the day
- Moms’ Small Group Book Study – meets Tuesday mornings at 10 am in the Library, childcare provided
Disciple Bible Study
The Disciple program is a series of intensive, nine-month long studies of various sections of the Bible. Participants commit to daily reading and study and meet once a week to discuss their discoveries. Registration opens each August for classes that will meet from September through May.
- Disciple I – an overview of the Old and New Testaments
- Disciple II – a deeper reading of Genesis and Exodus in the Old Testament and of Luke and the Acts of the Apostles in the New Testament
- Disciple III – a deeper reading of the Prophets in the Old Testament and of the Letters of Paul in the New Testament
- Disciple IV – a deeper reading of the Writings (Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Jonah and other books) in the Old Testament plus the non-Pauline letters and Revelation in the New Testament