About Trinity Presbyterian Church
Trinity Presbyterian Church of McKinney Texas is a member of the Presbyterian Church (USA). We were founded in 1855, but over 90 percent of our members have joined in the last 20 years. We come from all over Collin County: Plano, Allen, Frisco, McKinney, Princeton, Prosper, Celina, Anna and Melissa, plus as far as Dallas and The Colony.
Intergenerational and inclusive with ministries for everyone.
TPC is intergenerational with active ministries for everyone: children and youth up to seniors. We are affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA), but many of us were first nurtured in other Christian traditions. Being a PC(USA) church means honoring God’s stated desire to work through and in all people (Joel 2:28). We are intentionally inclusive and we believe that God uses the leadership and teaching gifts of both women and men.
Passionate worship is one of our Core Values, but we are not a “Sunday only” congregation. We hope you will take time to explore the many opportunities for service, sharing and community available throughout the week.
Founded in 1855 as a Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Trinity Presbyterian Church of McKinney Texas has provided a witness to Jesus Christ and nurtured disciples since the days of gas lights and horseback rides to church.
The first members came to Collin County in covered wagons as part of an original community of Presbyterians from Northern England and Southern Scotland who settled first in the Cumberland Mountains of Tennessee.
For the first decade, the congregation shared worship space with other churches. After the Civil War, the congregation constructed a wood frame church of its own at the corner of Church and Davis Streets (one block south of the square in downtown McKinney). Those were often lean and difficult years. This was also when most Cumberland Churches in Texas affiliated with the northern branch of the Presbyterian Church. The wooden structure was destroyed in a fire during World War I. For a brief season, TPC was federated with First Presbyterian Church. TPC built a new brick structure in 1925 and experienced a season of growth, though the frequent changes of pastors meant that ministry was in a constant ebb and flow.
Like many congregations the church saw increased activity and vitality after World War II. However, the social unrest and changes of the late 1960s and early 1970s took its toll. By the mid 1980s the congregation faced a difficult decision: to slowly fade away, merge with another congregation or take the story of Nicodemus to heart and become reborn by the Spirit. After much prayer and reflection, the members of TPC took steps to sell the property downtown and relocate to the growing western edge of McKinney.
A gift of land from Eva Joplin along Virginia Parkway in the middle of what was then a brand new development, Stonebridge Ranch, set things in motion. With great faith and sacrifice, the small congregation constructed a new building that became available for worship in 1991. That move occurred under the leadership of the Rev. Stephen Peterson. In 1993, the Rev. Patrick McCoy became pastor of TPC. The church facility was expanded in 1999 and again in 2010. The Rev. Mally Baum joined the staff as Associate Pastor in 2005. Over the past 20 years, a dedicated and imaginative staff has been developed to lead a varied and dynamic ministry. In June 2019, Patrick McCoy retired after 26 years of service at TPC and was followed by Rev. Woody Brown who retired in 2022. The Rev. Mally Baum now serves as Senior Pastor.
The congregation has persevered through a civil war, disease, financial crises, world wars, racism, terrorism, social upheaval and technological revolutions. We are of all ages, political affiliations, denominational backgrounds, races, nationalities and theological positions. Today we reside in many different parts of Collin County. Our membership comes from Plano, Allen, Frisco, McKinney, Princeton, Prosper, Celina, Anna and Melissa, plus as far away as Dallas and The Colony. At TPC, we are encouraged to stretch beyond our personal desires to become a body of Christ led by the Holy Spirit and guided by Holy Scripture and the Confessions of the Church.