It’s never been easy being a youth! It’s a time in each of our lives that is full of so much promise, opportunity and excitement; yet also full of questions, and many important decisions that often impact the direction of the rest of our lives.
Trinity’s Youth leaders have been creating new ways to stay connected. We encourage our youth to join Remind 101 to receive text updates from us. Simply text 81010 and reply @tpcyouth18.
The purpose of the Youth Ministry at Trinity Presbyterian Church of McKinney, Texas is to help youth to navigate this important transitional time in their lives by helping to answer these questions and empowering them to make sound decisions that glorify Christ. It serves students in grades 6 –12. We encourage you to explore these pages and to join us as we gather together in fun and fellowship. The Youth Ministry is divided into two groups based on grade level.
2020-2021 Youth Calendar
6 – Logos resumes
17 – Ash Wednesday
3 – 30 Hour Famine Rally
8-12 – Spring Break – no Logos
31 – Holy Week
3 – Six Flags
9-10 – 30 Hour Famine
11 – Youth Worship
21 – Logos Earth Care Day
28 – Logos End of the Year Banquet
1-2 – Church Under the Bridge
16 – Graduation Sunday
2 – Splash begins
9 – Splash
16 – Splash
23 – Splash
30 – Splash
20-25 – Senior High Celebration at MoRanch
4-8 – Junior High Celebration at MoRanch
7 – Splash
14 – Splash
21 – Splash
28 – Splash
We seek to empower youth in mission, to learn Presbyterian theology, and to explore their faith so they may become lifelong, faithful Christians. This is done in fellowship with their peers, in class and out of class, on Sundays and throughout the week. Activities include:
- Opportunities for each individual to participate in mission work, including a week long mission trip before graduating high school
- Wednesday night and Sunday morning programs with age specific activities and topics
- Engaging teachings of the Old and New Testaments, Presbyterian history and theology, and studies of different denominations and religions
In Confirmation classes, youth explore what it means to be a member of TPC and the Presbyterian Church (USA), making a commitment to Christ and His church. The important Confirmation process is a comprehensive program for youth in 7th grade and older, lasting 9 months. On Pentecost Sunday, confirmands are welcomed as full members of the church. Class members are expected to attend worship at TPC and complete at home activities.
Retreats and Summer
The Youth Ministry participates in various retreats throughout the year and age-specific summer activities. For detailed information on our Retreats and Summer Camps and programs go to the Junior High and Senior High pages.
International Youth Mission
One of the goals for our youth at Trinity is to have access to 2 international trips during their 7 years in the ministry. Trips of this nature are always life-changing. In 2018 we went to Peru (Facebook Peru Album).
Due to COVID19 youth were not able to travel internationally this summer, but we hope to offer a trip to Scotland in the future to learn about the roots of our Presbyterian heritage. We will visit St. Andrews where John Knox was arrested, attend worship at St. Giles in Edinburgh and visit the Abbey of Iona on the Outer Hebrides.
The Junior High and Senior High youth both have at least one opportunity during their school career to do a mission trip. Currently the Junior High goes on a mission trip every other year while the Senior High youth goes on annual mission trips. Mission work takes us worldwide; however, it need not take us away from local needs. Mission opportunities include:
- Church under the Bridge, in Waco, Texas, incorporates creating meals for the homeless and serving them at worship held under an overpass in Waco. The youth arrive at church Saturday night to prepare the food, spend the night, and wake up early on Sunday to go to Waco, TX to serve the homeless.
- 30 Hour Famine, an event open to all youth. 30 Hour Famine involves worship, mission and activities while fasting to support world hunger. This event tries to make youth feel the physical and emotional pains of hunger and make others aware of hunger related issues in the world. Youth also raise money before the event through World Vision to help hungry children all over the world. Trinity youth have raised over $151,000 in their fight against World Hunger.
- Project Linus, an organization that provides blankets to sick and homeless children. Trinity youth make blankets each year in Logos, our Wednesday night program, to give to this organization.
- Heifer Project, a program that buys animals for communities in need with a passing on the gift philosophy. Trinity youth raise money yearly to help with the purchase of these animals. The youth group has bought ducks, rabbits and bees.
- Community Food Pantry of McKinney, an organization whose mission is to provide groceries on an emergency basis to families and individuals who have found themselves in a state of crisis. The youth of Trinity collect powdered milk to help restock the shelves of the pantry.
- Samaritan Inn, a comprehensive homeless program in McKinney that teaches self-sufficiency and life skills to meet the needs of individuals and families experiencing homelessness. The youth of Trinity will be collecting cereal for the Samaritan Inn.
- CROP Walk, a community-wide event sponsored by Church World Service to raise funds to end hunger in the U.S. and around the world. In McKinney, families from Trinity and the community are encouraged to participate in the annual walk at Towne Lake Park.
- Casa del Buen Trato, a shelter in Peru for girls and women that are victims of violence. The Trinity youth helped there in 2018 and this year they will be making something for the shelter.
- Earth Care, Trinity has a vibrant Youth Earth Care group that collaborates with Trinity’s Creation Care Ministry, but also organizes its own annual events.
To learn more about additional Mission opportunities at TPC visit our Missions Page. And for questions about the Youth Ministry program you may contact Tami Voyles, Director of Christian Education, Youth and Young Adults.