It’s never been easy being a youth! It’s a time in each of our lives that is full of so much promise, opportunity and excitement; yet also full of questions, and many important decisions that often impact the direction of the rest of our lives.
Trinity’s Youth leaders miss everyone during this time of social distancing and we have been creating new ways to stay connected! In addition to social media, we are also having Zoom parties. We also encourage our youth to join Remind 101 to receive text updates from us. Simply text 81010 and reply @tpcyouth18. We hope everyone is safe and healthy and can’t wait to be back together soon!
The purpose of the Youth Ministry at Trinity Presbyterian Church of McKinney, Texas is to help youth to navigate this important transitional time in their lives by helping to answer these questions and empowering them to make sound decisions that glorify Christ. It serves students in grades 6 –12. We encourage you to explore these pages and to join us as we gather together in fun and fellowship. The Youth Ministry is divided into two groups based on grade level.
We seek to empower youth in mission, to learn Presbyterian theology, and to explore their faith so they may become lifelong, faithful Christians. This is done in fellowship with their peers, in class and out of class, on Sundays and throughout the week. Activities include:
- Opportunities for each individual to participate in mission work, including a week long mission trip before graduating high school
- Wednesday night and Sunday morning programs with age specific activities and topics
- Engaging teachings of the Old and New Testaments, Presbyterian history and theology, and studies of different denominations and religions
2019-2020 Youth Calendar
August 11, 2019 – Promotion Sunday and Blessing of the Backpacks
August 25, 2019 – Confirmation Parent and Youth Meeting
September 4, 2019 – Teacher Training
September 8, 2019 – TYME begins
September 8, 2019 – Senior Canvas Painting Day/Lunch
September 8, 2019 – Senior Parent Meeting
September 11, 2019 – Logos begins
September 14, 2019 – Senior High Lock-in – Medieval Times
October 27, 2019 – CROP Walk
October 30, 2019 – Logos Outing – Senior High Whirly Ball; Junior High Scavenger Hunt
November 2, 2019 – Junior High Lock-In
November 3, 2019 – Celebration Sunday – No TYME
November 30, 2019 – Hanging of the Greens
December 4, 2019 – Last Night of Logos
December 7, 2019 – Grace Presbytery Meeting at Trinity
January 8, 2020 – Logos Resumes
January 11-12, 2020 – Church Under the Bridge (1st Choice)
January 18-19, 2020 – Church Under the Bridge (2nd Choice)
January 29, 2020 – 30 Hour Famine Rally
January 31 – February 2, 2020 – SHYC
February 26, 2020 – Ash Wednesday
February 28-29, 2020 – 30 Hour Famine
March 1, 2020 – Youth Worship Service
March 27-29, 2020 – GAP – CANCELLED
April 8, 2020 – Holy Week
April 11, 2020 – Six Flags – CANCELLED
April 22, 2020 – Logos Earth Care Day – CANCELLED
April 29, 2020 – Logos End of Year Banquet – CANCELLED
May 13, 2020 – Confirmation Dinner with Elders
May 17, 2020 – Graduation Sunday
May 31, 2020 – Confirmation Sunday / Pentecost
June 1-5, 2020 – VBS
June 10, 2020 – Splash Begins
June 28-July 3, 2020 – Memphis Junior High Youth Mission
July 18-26, 2020 – Montreat Senior High Youth Conference
August 2, 2020 – Family Lake Outing
In Confirmation classes, youth explore what it means to be a member of TPC and the Presbyterian Church (USA), making a commitment to Christ and His church. The important Confirmation process is a comprehensive program for youth in 7th grade and older, lasting 9 months. On Pentecost Sunday, confirmands are welcomed as full members of the church. Class members are expected to attend worship at TPC and complete at home activities.
TYME – Trinity Youth Morning Edition is TPC’s Youth Sunday School for grades 6 – 12. Starting at 9:30 am, TYME includes breakfast, 15 minutes of worship, and a Bible study. It takes place every Sunday, except on Easter and whenever Christmas and New Year’s Day occurs on Sunday.
Current bible study topics by grade are:
- 6th Grade: Genesis
- 7th and 8th Grade: Survey of the Old Testament
- 9th and 10th Grade: Survey of the New Testament
- 11th and 12th Grade: Church History and Presbyterian Theology / World Religions and Denominations
Logos – Logos is a popular midweek ministry for youth grades 6 – 12 that combines fellowship, recreation and Bible study with peers. It is held Wednesday evenings from 6:00–8:00 pm on days that school is in session.
6:00 – 6:30 pm Team Building Relationship Time
6:30 – 7:00 pm Dinner
7:00 – 7:15 pm Tournament Games
7:15 – 8:00 pm Bible Study/Small Groups
Please note that because it includes dinner and outings, we do request an additional fee. Also, parents are asked to volunteer on a monthly basis.
Retreats and Summer
The Youth Ministry participates in various retreats throughout the year and age-specific summer activities. For detailed information on our Retreats and Summer Camps and programs go to the Junior High and Senior High pages.
International Youth Mission
One of the goals for our youth at Trinity is to have access to 2 international trips during their 7 years in the ministry. Trips of this nature are always life-changing. In 2018 we went to Peru. We worked with the Presbyterian Church (USA) in conjunction with Iglesia Evangelical Peruana (IEP). The IEP works in the southern part of Peru. The IEP and PC(USA) work hand in hand to address the root causes of poverty and seeks reconciliation in Peru, a country where over 80 languages are spoken which have caused cultural divides. To get a glimpse of this mission trip, visit our Facebook Peru Album.
The Junior High and Senior High youth both have at least one opportunity during their school career to do a mission trip. Currently the Junior High goes on a mission trip every other year while the Senior High youth goes on annual mission trips. Mission work takes us worldwide; however, it need not take us away from local needs. Mission opportunities include:
- Church under the Bridge, in Waco, Texas, incorporates creating meals for the homeless and serving them at worship held under an overpass in Waco. The youth arrive at church Saturday night to prepare the food, spend the night, and wake up early on Sunday to go to Waco, TX to serve the homeless.
- 30 Hour Famine, an event open to all youth. 30 Hour Famine involves worship, mission and activities while fasting to support world hunger. This event tries to make youth feel the physical and emotional pains of hunger and make others aware of hunger related issues in the world. Youth also raise money before the event through World Vision to help hungry children all over the world. Trinity youth have raised over $151,000 in their fight against World Hunger.
- Project Linus, an organization that provides blankets to sick and homeless children. Trinity youth make blankets each year in Logos, our Wednesday night program, to give to this organization.
- Heifer Project, a program that buys animals for communities in need with a passing on the gift philosophy. Trinity youth raise money yearly to help with the purchase of these animals. The youth group has bought ducks, rabbits and bees.
- Community Food Pantry of McKinney, an organization whose mission is to provide groceries on an emergency basis to families and individuals who have found themselves in a state of crisis. The youth of Trinity collect powdered milk to help restock the shelves of the pantry.
- Samaritan Inn, a comprehensive homeless program in McKinney that teaches self-sufficiency and life skills to meet the needs of individuals and families experiencing homelessness. The youth of Trinity will be collecting cereal for the Samaritan Inn.
- CROP Walk, a community-wide event sponsored by Church World Service to raise funds to end hunger in the U.S. and around the world. In McKinney, families from Trinity and the community are encouraged to participate in the annual walk at Towne Lake Park.
- Casa del Buen Trato, a shelter in Peru for girls and women that are victims of violence. The Trinity youth helped there in 2018 and this year they will be making something for the shelter.
- Earth Care, Trinity has a vibrant Youth Earth Care group that collaborates with Trinity’s Creation Care Ministry, but also organizes its own annual events.
To learn more about additional Mission opportunities at TPC visit our Missions Page. And for questions about the Youth Ministry program you may contact Tami Voyles, Director of Christian Education, Youth and Young Adults.